Location: Washington, DC
Status: Exempt, Full-time
Demand Justice Initiative seeks a Communications Director to help build our movement to restore the ideological balance and legitimacy of the federal courts. The Communications Director will serve as a media strategist guiding both our paid and earned media efforts. This position manages day-to-day press outreach to promote our work, conducts rapid response in the face of news developments affecting our issue space, and will produce sharp, messaging materials to empower our member activists and our external allies. The position requires excellent written and verbal communication skills, the ability to think strategically about communications and research, incredible attention to detail, and strong multi-tasking and organizational skills.
This position is based in Washington, DC, and reports to the Chief Operating Officer. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Manage day-to-day external communications activities for Demand Justice, and the internal processes related to those activities.
- Develop and execute communications plans, integrating earned, paid, and new media, to advance Demand Justice Initiative’s goals.
- Work in partnership with Demand Justice Initiative’s leadership and consultants on development of paid media efforts and on project polling and messaging.
- Draft press materials, including talking points, press advisories and releases, op-eds, and memos in support of communications plans and goals.
- Build relationships with print, broadcast and online reporters, editors, and producers.
- Serve as a spokesperson for Demand Justice with partner organizations, key stakeholders, and the media, as needed.
- Develop local media outreach strategy to promote Demand Justice Initiative’s efforts on the ground in key states.
- Manage communications staff and delegate responsibilities accordingly.
- Monitor risks and opportunities to advance Demand Justice Initiative’s position and brand as a new, progressive organization.
- Produce detailed reports of communications activities and successes.
- Remain flexible and perform additional duties, as required.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- Minimum experience of 4-6 years in communications, public relations, or advocacy work. Political campaign or Capitol Hill experience a plus.
- Experience landing high-profile stories and working with reporters, editors, editorial boards, columnists, bookers, and thought leaders;
- Exceptional writing skills for both press and general audiences. Writing should be sharp, personable, and memorable. Must possess ability to write in voice of others.
- Familiarity and aptitude with using social media as an earned media tool.
- Experience framing research products into communications products. Demonstrated ability to identify communications needs based on research and to work with research and campaign teams to achieve objectives.
- Smart political judgment and ability to anticipate how others will respond to our work.
- Calm in a crisis, and with great instincts.
- Expertise in working independently and juggling competing priorities with strict deadlines;
- Proven track record for being a self-starter;
- Experience managing a team and effectively delegating responsibilities.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Flexible personality.
- Commitment to Demand Justice Initiative’s mission.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
How to Apply
Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Communications Director Applicant” in the subject line.